Construction was pretty simple: I first made a little jig to help me cut evenly space slots, then used my circular saw to cut the slots that hold the slides. I wish I had a good table saw, as that would have been easier. I rounded over one edge with a router to make it easier to get the slides in and out. I cut the ends to an angle so the slides lean back very slightly, to make sure they don't fall out. I then cut the base and made a nice profile on it with the router. I attached some thin strips of wood to the back of the uprights to stop the slides falling out of the back, a spacer at the top to keep everything square, and screwed the uprights to the base.
I think it turned out well. The hardest part was making the thin pieces of wood at the back - lots of hand planing there, which I'm not very good at.